Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cumberland

The famous Cumberland Monastery (now a library)

I have an appointment for my car early in the morning near my house in Cumberland so I took a train home after work. I went for a 4mi yog on the old arnold mills race course but instead of the regular last 2mi I went up a LARGE hill called Lonsesome Pine. It's a 3/4mile hill that makes Freeman repeats seem fun. It was cold. I haven't run in that cold of weather for a while and I quickly remembered why. It was pitch black so I was running a little quicker pace but happily felt comfortable (until that hill). I borrowed my Dad's watch and I finished in 26:13. For some reason when it's dark I just run harder and don't feel anything, like someone is stalking me and I have no choice. Part of the run was interesting because lots of snow was falling from trees in front of me. Im positive squirrels were fucking with me because it was dark and had my iPod on. I also smelled an intense grape smell at one point in the run and it made me think of the quote/story of the day below. The 3/4 mile hill comes just after the start of mile 3. I was very much looking foward to the downhill of the last half mile until I got there. It wreaked of skunk. As I continued on and it was still bad I was afraid I had gotten sprayed without knowing it. But when I got home I was in the clear. I did some abs, stretched, and lifted biceps.

Quote/Story of the day (not a movie quote):

The setting was the infamous and record setting slowest run in Brown XC history by myself, Tushar, Jokin, and I think Quick. 4mi in approx 39min. We were proud.

During the run I was running next to Jokin and he would say, "Do you smell grapes?"
I'd say, "yeah, I've been smelling grape this whole run, its like grape juice"
And we kept smelling it everywhere we went. It was so intense we could taste it.
So we ask everyone else if they smelled it so we don't think we're crazy and Tushar says:
"I've been chewing grape bubbalicious gum the whole run."
Fuckin Tushar.

The grape smell during my run smelled exactly like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i totally remember that run. those damn grapes were foolishly pungent. what a great day. i wonder if craig could complete that run in 39 minutes today without stopping. i can't even remember what the run was called. i just know that mck loved it.

Tom Floss said...

I remember that!

Oh man, bubble gum while running is the best. I need to start chewing again.

Sick post.

Anonymous said...

fool, i was on that run too! fucking epic. i don't remember what it's called either but it was the one that goes along benefit for a while. every once in a while someone would someone would try to run at a normal pace and we'd have to call them back so that we could get the slow record. hell yeah.